Thursday, February 3, 2011

Your Representative

The other day I caught myself wandering in the depths of my own thoughts and realized something that I never knew about myself.  I wear a pretty heavy facade when I first meet someone.  In fact I wear that bitch half off my face like the Phantom of the Opera until I'm really comfortable around someone.  Of course this all depends on the situation and the type of person.  If I meet a really outgoing person, chances are I'll let my guard down a lot quicker.  Why?  Because that person is being genuine.  They're being themselves and no one else.  It eliminates that initial sense of unnecessary competition, that need to prove yourself to them.  If they can be themselves then I can too.  Instead I usually keep a serious tone until I have a feeling for the other person, until I have a sense of how they'll react to my characteristic sarcasm.  On second thought, I don't think anyone's ready for that.

I think it's OK to feel someone out when you first meet them but we should be careful of how much of a facade we wear.  Like Chris Rock said, when you first meet someone you're meeting their representative.  Well guess what?  No one wants to meet your representative.  They're stuck up, too quiet or too damn loud.  Drop the charades and just be yourself.  Chances are people will like you better.  If not, at least you won't have to wonder if you should have just acted like yourself instead of putting on a show.  Ditch the mask and tell your representative to take a hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment